Thursday, December 29, 2011

Where did the time go?

These last two weeks have flown by.  I feel like I blinked and Christmas had come and gone.  Every year I tell myself to just soak it all in, and then every year, I find myself thinking, "where did the time go?"   Who's with me?!
This Christmas was a good one, though.  There were some good times with good friends and family.  From a boat parade with the Hindmans to Christmas Eve with the Weavers/Mayfields and Christmas night with the Ryans.  We made a ton of memories, laughed a lot, and well, to be honest, even cried a little.
Christmas morning this year was awesome.  McKenna and Michael were both at a great age for opening presents.  They were so excited about every single thing they opened.  One by one, they opened their gifts, and tore through that wrapping paper like crazy.  When it was all said and done, the living room was full of boxes and bows and about 30 new toys for mommy and daddy to find a place for : )
 I'd have to say that McKenna's favorite gifts have been the LeapPad from Mawmaw and Pappy and the learning laptop from Miss Millie.  She also liked the Barbie Vet Care Center from Santa but we haven't been home much for her to really use it all that much.
Michael's favorite by far has been his race track.  That's all he wanted from Santa and he's played with it all day, every day since.  He also loves the little bucket of 25 toy story aliens and his LeapPad.  
Among other things, Mommy got a new coffee maker, some beautiful new necklaces, and a much needed jewelry armoire. Daddy got a fire pit, a bottle of scotch, and a very cool present from my parents, a chance to do the Richard Petty Driving Experience at Disney with my Dad and brother.
One of my fondest memories of this Christmas has to be McKenna giving out the presents she picked out for everyone at her school's "secret santa" store.  She takes such care and is so thoughtful when picking things out and she gets so excited to pass them out.  This year she even asked to shop for her great, great aunt jackie and great great uncle john, which I thought was pretty neat.  She picked out little figurines for each of them, because she said, "They have little figures all over their house."
But I have to say, my most special memory is going to be having a sleepover at my parents house on Christmas night with my brother, Sara, and Harmony.  It was like we were kids again.  We laughed until we cried, stayed up late, played games, watched movies, and enjoyed seeing our little ones play together.  My parents made an awesome dinner that night and the next morning we all went to breakfast.  I can't tell you the last time we've all had such a great time together.  No rushing, no schedule, just being together and that is what the holiday is all about.
Now the time has come to start taking down the tree, put the stockings away, and clean up the aftermath of Christmas morning.... Thank you to everyone who sent gifts to my kids and Christmas cards for us to read, for all of the cookies and treats, and certainly all the memories...It's time now to look ahead to the New Year and what it will bring.  I will look back on this year fondly and remember how truly precious time is.....

here we are with the gifts McKenna picked out for us...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Jana Slater Photography
CoffeeShop Designs